Sex Facts and Myths: Things You Might Not Have Known About Sex
Here are some facts about sex that may surprise you! The most interesting facts about sex are not always well known, so test your knowledge of sex facts about women, sex facts about men, and sex health facts here.
When it comes to sex, there are a lot of myths that are highly accepted as facts and a lot of facts that are not usually discussed. Maybe you might have wished you knew more sex facts and tips before you started having sex. Maybe you want to know more sex health facts like what the benefits of sex are for the body or more information about reproductive health. No matter what I think we could all benefit from a little bit more knowledge about the ancient carnal activity of sex. Here are some interesting facts about sex to spice up your day and maybe spice up your love life as well.
Fun sex facts – Fact #1: Orgasms can lower a woman’s risk of heart disease, stroke, breast cancer, and depression.
Sex Facts for Women
- Light affects a woman’s fertility! Before artificial light, women used to ovulate on the new moon and menstruate on the full moon. Now that it is nearly impossible to escape all artificial light unless you go completely off the grid, the menstrual cycle is affected by all of the lights we see at night time.
- The clitoris has around 8,000 nerve endings, which is twice as many as the penis has. The clitoris is also shaped like a wishbone, with most of its physiology inside the body and only a tiny fraction (the clitoral head) on the exterior.
- No vagina is the same! The distribution of nerve endings is not the same in all vaginas! In fact, each has an individual blueprint for where nerve endings are situated. This is helpful to know that what works for one woman may not work for another just based on nerve placement.
- All women can achieve orgasm! If you’ve ever heard a woman claim that they simply cannot orgasm, they might have just had a harder time figuring out their own machinery. In fact, the media’s depiction of sex may play a role in the myth that some women can’t orgasm. Contrary to the way that sex is depicted in movies and pornography, about 75% of women do not achieve orgasm from vaginal penetration alone.
Sex Facts for Men
- Although some of these crazy sex facts are often brushed off as myths, sperm has actually been proven to improve skin elasticity, and improve skin health, making it an ideal facial serum.
- The prostate is a powerful pleasure center for men which is at the base of the penis but mostly only accessible through the anus. Prostate stimulation is seen to be the key to a more powerful male orgasm.
- Sperm can typically live in the vagina for 48 hours but has been recorded to survive for up to eight days.
- When a man has sex, the hormone oxytocin is released in his brain, which can actually increase his threshold for pain by approximately 50%.
- The reason that men have trouble getting or maintaining an erection if they have been drinking also known as “whiskey dick,” is because alcohol depresses the central nervous system in tandem with decreasing blood flow which is crucial to genital arousal. This can happen despite the fact that a man is excited or wanting to have sex.
Fun Sex Facts – Fact #2: One teaspoon of semen contains five calories, meaning semen is not a significant source of nutrients.
Sex Facts for Teenagers
- Consent is not a debate. If you are not giving and receiving enthusiastic consent, it’s best to hold off on sexual activity. It is totally okay to change your mind at any time.
- Different people have different definitions of sex and virginity. Some people think sex is the act of a penis penetrating a vagina, but this is not always possible in all sexual relationships and that doesn’t necessarily mean those relationships are sexless. You can define what losing one’s virginity means for you whether that is oral sex, anal sex, or vaginal sex.
- You can rip your hymen doing things other than having sex, such as intense physical exercise like horseback riding.
- You can get pregnant the first time you have vaginal sex! This is why an effective birth control method is really important to have before you engage in sexual activity.
- It is very normal for a woman to bleed a little bit the first time she has vaginal sex. Some women won’t bleed at all and some will bleed a bit, it depends on the woman’s hymen tissue.
Sex Health Facts
There are a lot of health benefits to having regular sex! People who engage in sex regularly have healthier immune systems and are less likely to get sick. It also increases libido, regulates blood pressure, burns calories, helps improve sleep quality, and relieves stress. Although it is clear that sex has quite a lot of health benefits, it is still important to maintain a healthy lifestyle to really reap the rewards of this physical activity and get regular STD testing to ensure good sexual health.
Sex Addiction Facts
Sex addiction can occur when someone’s need for sex starts to interfere with their ability to lead a normal life. While having sex should be safe and fun, there are scenarios when you can have too much sex. Most people who suffer from sex addiction are also suffering from another form of mental illness during which they find comfort in engaging in either risky or compulsive sexual behavior. If you are worried you could be addicted to sex it is important to seek help from a mental healthcare provider.
- WOW! You liked our article? Tell us about your feelings!
- You are not satisfied? Tell us the reason of it!